For the last 20 years, Turnaround for Children has worked to deeply understand what can impede learning – specifically, the impact of adversity on a young person’s developmental and learning trajectory -- and has begun to understand, through years of bi-directional learning with practitioners on the ground, what it takes to promote learning for all students. Turnaround believes that every student deserves to attend schools that are intentionally designed for healthy learning and development, and that those who are marginalized by our current system must be centered in any efforts for change. The science makes it clear that all children can thrive, so long as the contexts in which they develop are intentionally designed to reveal strengths, address vulnerabilities, and attune to their individual needs.
Using what is known from research and practice, Turnaround collaborates with educators to build from their strengths and transform schools into places that put students on the path toward healthy development, learning and thriving through a whole-child approach, one that acknowledges the integrated nature of a child’s social, emotional, cognitive, and academic growth, no matter their starting point or what has gotten in the way. These collaborations have helped catapult whole-child education into the “mainstream” of education reform. Influential, far-reaching organizations and coalitions are joining the movement. During this past year of pandemic-related challenges, Turnaround’s insights reached thousands of educators, parents, and students. Over the next several years, through new and existing partnerships, Turnaround sees a pathway to impact as many as 13,000 superintendents, 37 million students, 21 million parents, and more than 50 school districts serving 20+ states and the District of Columbia. Looking ahead, Turnaround’s priorities include research, resource development, building educator capacity, and mobilizing the field. Read more here.
About the Opportunity
The Chief of Field Engagement and Mobilization (CFEM) will lead Turnaround for Children in creating and leveraging conditions in the education ecosystem that facilitate broad, effective implementation of whole-child design, practice, and measurement (i.e. a whole-child approach), including increasing funding interest and building demand for an evolved approach to education that takes a child’s whole being into consideration, in order to advance equitable outcomes for students throughout the country.
The CFEM will play an integral role in honoring the founder’s and organization’s histories, valuing everyone engaged in this work, while envisioning and leading the mobilization strategies that build toward a collective that is committed to designing and transforming a more equitable education system grounded in how young people grow and learn.
Areas of Leadership
- Executive & Team Leadership:
- Serve as an active and engaged member of the Executive Leadership team, working with and through senior leaders to envision and drive a near and long-term field engagement, mobilization, and communications strategy that builds upon the work, experience, and reputation of Turnaround for Children’s 20 years of doing this work.
- Field Mobilization:
- Create and drive a field mobilization strategy - integrating all the facets of Turnaround for Children’s work - and execute it so that the demand for, and adoption of, whole-child approaches is clear and broad.
- In partnership with the Executive Leadership team and internal and external constituencies, define the universe of stakeholders to engage with in this work, which may include school systems, policy makers, parents, the media, funders, and school support organizations.
- Communications & External Relations:
- Marshall, synthesize, and develop, from across the organization, concrete, specific, cohesive messaging to describe the current state of whole-child education and its stakeholders, and what Turnaround for Children does within that field.
- Build compelling campaigns to increase awareness of, demand for, and subsequent adoption of, whole-child education.
- Translate Turnaround for Children’s 20 years of programming to tell a clear, coherent data story that resonates with diverse audiences.
- Mission & Values Alignment: Deep belief in every child’s ability to learn and grow through whole-child education, as well as a knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles with an ability to design and lead communications and messaging work through a DEI lens.
- Executive & Team Leadership: A seasoned executive leader who brings experience setting and leading strategy and vision at the organizational level. A dedicated manager of people and teams. A history of successfully leading change in an inclusive, deliberate way.
- Field Mobilization, Campaigns & Communications Expertise: A creative, imaginative, and visionary leader who has a history of inspiring others to take action amid a field of partners and other leaders in the work. Adept at conceptualizing, building, and executing highly effective campaigns, particularly those that require a high level of translation of academic and science-based concepts to a broad range of audiences. Effective builder of partnerships, coalitions, and engaged stakeholder groups to advance a common cause.
- Education and/or Child Development Experience: Drawing from experience in education settings, ability to anticipate where the education field is going, in relation to whole-child design, and position an organization’s messaging / materials / talking points such that there is a clear connection between its work and value to the world. Understanding of the relationship between the philanthropic community and the whole-child design ecosystem.
- Relationship Building & Collaboration: A natural connector and network builder who listens in order to understand, operates from a place of constant curiosity, and then builds on what they have heard and learned to move individuals and groups to actionable change.
Compensation, Values & Location
- Turnaround offers a comprehensive benefits package, including: Medical & Dental (Turnaround covers a portion of the premium); Vision (fully paid by employee); Life, AD&D and STD Insurance (fully paid by Turnaround); Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent Care, and Commuter Benefits); 403(b) Plan with 1% employer matching; Veterinary Pet Insurance; generous PTO; Summer Fridays; eight weeks paid parental leave; professional development support; ongoing staff engagement opportunities; wellness events; and a culture rooted in our values.
- Values: Turnaround has four core values: (1) We inquire, we learn, we innovate, we share; (2) We interact with understanding and act with integrity; (3) We seek diverse perspectives and confront uncomfortable truths; and (4) Together, we can change the odds.
- Status & location: This is a full-time, exempt role, and is geographically flexible, with 20% travel when travel is generally safe again.