Chief Executive Officer at Peer Health Exchange
About the Organization:
Peer Health Exchange (PHE) is a national nonprofit organization that builds healthier communities with young people. Together, we create education opportunities for peers to share the tools and resources young people need to make healthy decisions. We were founded by young people for young people. Since 2003, we have trained 15,000 college-age young adults to deliver health education to 200,000 high school students in under-resourced communities nationwide and seen strong results in help-seeking behaviors. Today, we are a $16M organization, with 80 staff members distributed across the country.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we listened to young people and adapted our programming to create digital solutions that meet their needs. Now, in addition to our school-based programming, we run a Youth Innovation Lab that creates digital products. Our products are designed together with young people to create a safe digital place where they can see themselves reflected within a supportive and inclusive community that prioritizes their identity and experiences about mental health, sexual health, and beyond. Current offerings include our TikTok channel and our app, selfsea, available for download (Apple, Android) and as a web-based product. This video tells the story.
Our mission is critical, our team is diverse, and our work is vibrant.
About the Opportunity:
The incoming Chief Executive Officer of Peer Health Exchange will have the extraordinary opportunity to join and lead the organization during a time of significant evolution and growth. Building on nearly two decades of a successful peer-to-peer health education model, our programs now also include a significant digital presence, reach, and impact. Centering young people in all that we do, the CEO will lead the organization into its next chapter of impact, charting the path for long term sustainability and ensuring we reach millions of young people.
Our ideal candidate brings significant experience leading organizations through growth and change, including assessment of existing models with an eye toward the future. They will also bring a track record of generating revenue, working with boards, and people-centered leadership that includes building cohesive, mission-driven teams who are aligned around a vision and mission.
Areas of Leadership:
Executive Leadership & Strategy: In partnership with young people, the board, and the executive leadership team, set the vision, lead, and implement the strategy for the next phase of impact. Evaluate and assess the risks and benefits of two business units running in parallel. Continue to build, diversify, and engage the board and executive leadership team. Develop and support the Management Team (two Presidents and a VP, Finance) to a sustained high level of performance, as well as enhancing and growing their current skills. Practice and model equity-centered leadership, continuing to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion and center young people at all levels of the work.
- Key Qualifications:
- Significant experience leading an organization, including as an ED, President, or CEO, particularly through times of change and growth, ideally in large, national organizations.
- Track record of driving equity and inclusion from a leadership seat.
- Proven ability to lead intergenerational teams and work.
- Experience building and managing boards.
- Significant experience setting vision for and driving change initiatives, including updating business and operational models.
- Strong belief in PHE’s mission and passion for health equity, ideally with experience in youth facing organizations.
Resource Development: Ensure that PHE continues to be a financially sustainable organization through philanthropic and earned revenue generation at $15M annually, including from institutional funders, individual funders, and paying partners. Build strong relationships with PHE’s existing and potential funders and partners. Represent PHE externally to diverse audiences.
- Key Qualifications:
- Track record of effectively raising significant (six- and seven-figure) funds from diverse sources; familiarity and experience with earned income strategies, within nonprofit settings, preferred.
- Significant experience representing an organization externally to a variety of audiences.
- An ability to bring donors and partners along in support of the mission.
Relationship Building & Collaboration: Prioritize and model centering relationship-building at all levels of the organization, and with external partners. Ensure cross collaboration and communication across different facets of the organization and all teams.
- Key Qualifications:
- History of building strong relationships internally, externally, across levels of an organization, and intergenerationally, including with young people.
- Track record of building structures and practices to support the break-down of silos and cross collaboration.
- Clear, transparent communicator and active, engaged listener, with experience building transparency into organizational cultures.
Compensation & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $275k-$305k. Read about our generous benefits on our careers page, here.
Location & Travel: We are a remote organization with operations in California, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Washington D.C., Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Texas, or Utah. This position is open to candidates who live in (or plan to live in) any PHE registered state. We anticipate some travel for this position, up to 25%.
How to Apply: This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique search firm that partners with social impact organizations.
At Peer Health Exchange, we celebrate difference and are committed to providing equitable opportunities, addressing the effects of power and privilege. PHE is proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical disability, veteran status or length of time spent unemployed. We want to empower people to change lives!