SEO is an educational non-profit focused on improving outcomes for students from underserved and historically underrepresented backgrounds. For over 50 years, SEO has been an innovator in education, mentorship, and creating educational programs and opportunities that maximize the full potential of our students. We are on a mission to create an ecosystem of excellence for the students we serve!
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and working closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the VP of Finance (VP) will lead a Finance and Real Estate team of eight that will guide financial and space management, planning, and forecasting for the entire organization.
As an energetic, intrapreneurial leader with a passion for our mission, the VP will help lead SEO through an exciting period of rapid growth. Having substantially increased annual revenues to nearly $40 million over the past four years, and with even greater opportunities ahead of us for expanding our impact nationally, the VP will evolve SEO’s financial model and capabilities to capture new opportunities at scale and drive sustainable growth. The VP will bring an affinity for process design and engineering, workflow assessment, and optimization. As a strategic advisor to our Executive Leadership Team, the VP will employ a partnership-driven, collaborative mindset, working with six main programs serving thousands of participants each year, and our Development, Communications, Information Technology, Executive Office and People teams.
Areas of Leadership:
- Work with the Executive Committee (CEO, CAO, EVP and VP of Development) to establish a financial vision, planning, and forecasting processes
- On a monthly basis, report SEO’s financials, forecasts and metrics to our CEO and Executive Leadership Team
- Generate insights from financial data to support organizational decisions
- Work closely with the CAO and CEO to prepare presentations to the Board of Directors and Board Committees
- Oversee and optimize short- and long-term budget planning and cost management in alignment with the strategic plan
- Partner with revenue-generating programs to optimize financial operating models
- Oversee cash and investment management, including working with the CAO and SEO’s Investment Committee to build SEO’s endowment
- Design and execute a strategy to ensure the Finance department is equipped with the right systems, structures, people and partners to effectively deliver on the team and organizational goals
- Ensure financial tools are operationalized in such a way to highlight meaningful insights and guide short- and long-term decision-making, including revenue forecasting and programming decisions
- Lead the annual audit and preparation and filing of all required tax forms and state registrations
- In partnership with the VP of IT, select, implement and enhance financial technology, and lead the change management process to ensure collective buy-in and maximize utilization and implementation of new systems and processes
- Oversee and monitor SEO’s insurance policies, space planning and real estate leases
Organizational & Team Leadership
- Establish a strong partnership model for how teams will work with Finance, including setting regular touch points and monthly and quarterly reviews of financial data and projections
- Collaborate with and advise the CEO on key financial metrics and decisions and align around finance related priorities and other key decisions including new business opportunities
- Serve as a strategic advisor to Executive and senior leaders to help guide decision-making and influence the way financial goals are reflected in KPIs
- Partner with the CAO to support the Audit, Finance and Investment Committees of the Board of Directors
- Serve as a thought partner to programming leadership as they expand their model, advising on strategic growth opportunities
- Mission & Values Alignment: You bring a mindset of service leadership and commitment to mission-driven work and lead with courage and optimism for the team and organization.
- Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Belonging: You are a culture builder, who values diversity and prioritizes creating inclusive and equitable practices to enhance team and individual development, engagement and performance.
- Nonprofit Finance Expertise: You have led core Finance activities for complex organization(s) with similar or larger budget(s), including annual audits, preparation and filing of Forms 990, FP&A, accounting and treasury as well as projects to implement financial technologies.
- Executive & Team Leadership: You have experience serving as a senior leader of a complex organization with multiple program models and varied revenue streams, including foundation and major gift fundraising, as well as program income; you have at least five years of experience working with, and presenting to, executive leaders and boards of directors; you love to develop others, and have a track record of designing, developing, and managing high performing teams.
- Strategic Operator: You thrive in a fast-paced, opportunity-driven environment, embracing ambiguity by being creative and willing to pivot where necessary; you have designed financial plans and forecasts for both present and future state; you have developed a financial strategy to achieve scale and sustainable growth; you have a vision and enjoy championing your vision to foster alignment towards goals.
- Relationship Building: You are a constant collaborator who cares deeply about your colleagues and loves to help others learn and build skills; you lead with curiosity and generosity; you have built and led successful cross-functional projects; and you continuously strive to ensure all teams have the information they need to make good, data-driven decisions, and learn and improve at every opportunity.
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer – M/F/D/V. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.