Consultant- Learning for Action
- (Multiple states)
- Full Time
About Learning for Action
Learning for Action (LFA) is a San Francisco-founded consulting firm that provides the social sector with evaluation, research, strategy and capacity-building services, with an emphasis on supporting the development of strong learning organizations. For more than 20 years, LFA has worked with clients to design, implement and evaluate strategies, initiatives and programs that create meaningful social impact in the service of greater justice and equity. Learning for Action’s work spans a range of issue areas including, but not limited to: health and human services; early childhood, K-12, and higher education; youth development; community and economic development; justice system reform; and immigration. Ultimately, LFA’s services support the work of the social sector locally, nationally and internationally to address the needs of communities affected by systemic oppression and inequities. For more information about its mission, vision and values, please visit www.learningforaction.com.
About the Opportunity
Learning for Action values a diverse workforce that is a microcosm of its communities and is aligned with the mission-driven work of its clients. LFA actively strives to sustain a learning culture and an equity and social justice focused approach. The organization is currently engaging deeply in its own journey to transformational equity, reflecting deeply on its history, internal operations, and its client work to create meaningful social impact in the service of greater justice and equity. Incoming Consultants will bring significant management expertise to help lead LFA’s client engagements, on a diverse array of team-based consulting projects, and its internal transformation work.
This role provides an opportunity to enhance the learning and effectiveness of social justice organizations, while also supporting the advancement of LFA’s mission to advance knowledge, capacity and a culture of learning in the service of equity and justice. Ideal candidates bring strong project management and/or project design experience, a research based approach and a deep understanding of the inner workings of social justice organizations.
Areas of Leadership
Team & Client Management: Through equity-based principles and practices, manage client engagements by moving a project team’s vision from idea to action, keeping client satisfaction at the forefront and carrying out a timely work plan.
- Execute on and manage the final work plan designed for a specific project; be the project manager at the intersection of the external client team and the internal project team
- Manage day-to-day communications with the client, including project status updates, meeting preparation and agendas, meeting facilitation, etc.
- Manage day-to-day communications with the project team and delegate activities to team members of all roles, based on the broader vision for the project
- Support the Senior Consultant (Project Director) and project team members in anticipating and navigating challenges or obstacles in the project plan and timeline
- Support and steward project teams’ culture based on the vision of the project and team members’ individual roles and responsibilities, building energy and engagement among team members to ensure a successfully executed project
- Build comfort with and ability to lead client-facing work, including supporting and stewarding new business opportunities for the organization when necessary and as capacity allows
Organizational Culture Leadership: Support the leadership of LFA’s ongoing transformational change work by shaping its culture, supporting the development of its staff and team members, and representing the organization’s priorities related to learning, equity, and justice.
- Develop and build staff and teams that further a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion; foster authentic and genuine belonging; and retain staff of all identities
- Care for and foster organizational culture by designing, leading and cultivating collaborative teams
- Nurture and support others' interests and skills beyond the strict project plan or scope; ensuring that others have an opportunity to use their lived experience and expertise
- Cultivate an environment in which giving feedback feels comfortable, by providing feedback to others and incorporating feedback received from others in a direct, timely, relevant, and constructive way
Mission & Values Alignment:
- Committed to justice across the issues that are central to the work of LFA and its clients (i.e. housing, education, community development, philanthropy etc.), as well as LFA’s values of integrity, curiosity, collaboration, compassion and the pursuit of equity
- Understanding of and appreciation for the history, strengths and experiences of multiple communities, particularly those that experience systemic inequities
- Passion for learning and contributing to both technical skills and critical thinking through your own and others’ unique perspectives
Team & Project Management:
- Understanding of mission-driven organizations who work to impact change at systemic, community, national, and state levels
- Consulting, program design, or project management experience within a mission-driven organization in the nonprofit, philanthropic, public and/or other sectors
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate the implementation of research and evaluation, as well as execute on strategic plans, including meeting goals, benchmarks timelines etc.
- Experience managing individuals and teams to timely outcomes and deliverables
- Experience working with boards of directors, senior level executives and/or community stakeholders
Relationship Building & Collaboration:
- Ability to lead individuals and teams through change, including organizational and individual-level change
- Experience building, leading, and contributing to highly collaborative teams
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and grow mutually beneficial and trusting relationships at all levels of an organization
- Proven collaborator and facilitator with the ability to work with all levels of a team to resolve conflict and build strong culture
- Proficient in communication, virtual collaboration and project management platforms that maximize organization and efficiency as a means to manage multiple projects, tasks and other contributors to the work (e.g. Podio, Smartsheet, Google Docs etc.)
Location, Compensation & Benefits
This role is full time, exempt and geographically flexible. Some travel may be required when travel is generally safe again. The annual starting salary range for the role is $95,000-$100,000, depending on experience. Compensation also includes 10 paid holidays (including your birthday) and 18 additional paid days off per year (increasing to 23 days after two years). We are committed to positive work-life balance and have systems and support in place to help employees maintain a workload that fits into a 40-45 hour/week schedule, but the nature of consulting work and client-driven deadlines occasionally requires longer hours. LFA offers a generous benefits package for a small business, including 100% of the cost of medical, dental, vision and life insurances, a 401k plan, including employer contributions, without any vesting schedule, and bonus structure.