Senior Director of Data and Evaluation - The LGBT Center
- New York, NY
- Part Time
- Senior Manager/Supervisor
About The Center
Established in 1983 as a result of the AIDS crisis, New York City’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center has grown and evolved over the last four decades, creating and delivering services that empower people to lead healthy successful lives. We offer a wide range of services, both in-person and virtual, including virtual one-on-one counseling; substance use treatment and support groups; youth drop-in space; online arts and culture programming; health insurance navigation, and a front desk open seven days a week to respond to community inquiries. To learn more about how The Center is serving the community during this time, please visit gaycenter.org.
Beginning in 2017, The Center - a community center staffed by approximately 130 full- and part-time employees - underwent a multi-step process to transition nearly all of its data to the Salesforce platform. As part of the transition, The Center has committed to more intentionally utilizing data to inform decision-making and better understand the organization’s effectiveness and impact in fulfilling its mission.
As a key member of the senior leadership team reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Senior Director of Data and Evaluation (SDDE) will develop the vision to ensure The Center strives to be a data-driven, equitable organization. To do this, the SDDE, in partnership with the senior leadership team, will create the strategy and facilitate the change management process to ensure the commitment to, and adoption of a data-driven culture and practice throughout the Center.
The SDDE will manage a team of four, including direct supervision of the Director of Data Management and Program Systems Data and Evaluation Manager. The other roles on the team include the Salesforce Administrator and Data Quality and Training Coordinator. This team is charged with overseeing all enterprise systems at The Center, including the collection, analysis, and reporting of data with a focus on performance metrics and continuous improvement across the organization. Our ideal candidate brings a high level of Salesforce experience, alongside an ability to build relationships at all levels of the organization to facilitate successful data and evaluation initiatives.
Areas of Leadership:
- Equity-Driven Data & Evaluation Leadership: Collaboratively set the vision and create the strategy for an equity-centered data and evaluation program. This work will include The Center’s collection and use of data across the entire organization; catalyzing the organization’s ability to evaluate and track impact; centering equity in the data collection strategy and operationalization; ensuring that data collected is necessary, useful, and secure; and designing, implementing, and refining the suite of quantitative and qualitative tools used to track progress and outcomes against goals.
- Change Management & Implementation: Align people, systems, and improvement projects by connecting the data and evaluation work to The Center’s mission. Build trusting and collaborative relationships with Center staff to create a shared vision and buy-in of data and evaluation opportunities. Prioritize and operationalize strategic data and evaluation initiatives, ensuring strong implementation throughout the organization.
- Enterprise Systems Ownership & Data Governance: Design an enterprise system roadmap through ongoing needs assessments, comparing systems’ current state to desired future state, developing a nuanced understanding of The Center’s goals, and planning for risks and opportunities. Establish a consistent and efficient data governance process at The Center, accounting for the full data life cycle - including collection, configuration, storage, analysis, and dissemination. Manage vendors and resources, ensuring that the Center’s enterprise systems and processes support the Center’s overall goals and objectives.
- Team Management: Effectively translate organizational goals into team strategies and tactics for the team; support and hold the team accountable for achieving those strategies aligned to organizational goals. Promote and develop a culture of collaboration and shared decision-making across the team, while also developing the individual strength and skills of members of the team.
- Metrics and Outcomes: Define what The Center measures. Work with the senior leadership team to establish and report on metrics for each department, and provide the tools, support, and oversight to achieve goals.
- Mission & Values Alignment: Demonstrates a passion for, close involvement/experience with, and understanding of the LGBTQ Community’s issues and needs, including centering the voices of those who have been historically oppressed, and contemporary analysis of structural racism and bias.
- Technical, Data & Evaluation Expertise: Experience leading the data culture, systems, and strategy work to improve an organization’s ability to be data-driven and impactful. Experience using Salesforce as a primary tool. A track record of designing, implementing, and operating deep and multilayered enterprise systems and solutions. Strong communications skills and ability to translate complex data and information to a variety of audiences.
- Organizational & Team Leadership: Change leader, with experience influencing across an organization, galvanizing people around a vision and strategy, and building data-driven cultures. Effective team manager, able to motivate, develop, and empower individuals to execute plans and achieve outcomes. History of leading a new or emerging function within an organization, setting its strategy and cascading goals to team members.
- Project Leadership: Outstanding project leadership and management skills, with a history of leading teams and vendors to complete projects on time and on budget. Ability to thoughtfully prioritize, delegate, and communicate project goals, milestones, and outcomes. History of strong resource management and allocation, ensuring that order and investment of projects are in line with an organization’s strategic objectives, within budget and delivered on time.
- Relationship Building & Collaboration: Demonstrated ability to cultivate, grow, and manage positive, mutually beneficial relationships at all levels of an organization. Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills, including the ability to identify and work through challenges, underscored by strong judgment and emotional intelligence. Proven collaborator, able to work with and through senior leadership teams, as well as across functions.
The Center’s Commitment to Equity & Inclusivity:
The Center was born of community activism in response to the AIDS epidemic, ensuring a place for LGBTQ people to access information, care, and support that they were not receiving elsewhere. We opened in 1983 to help people who had doors constantly closed in their faces, ostracized by family, friends, and shunned by the general society. Since that time, we have continually provided a wide array of services and programs to serve our community, with an intentional focus on providing support to those who are most vulnerable. We have always taken great care to be a space that responds to community need; engaging in diversity, equity and inclusion work is another outgrowth of those ongoing efforts. We recognize that in order to help LGBTQ individuals and our diverse community achieve parity in health, justice, opportunity and success outcomes, our organization must hold a strong foundation and competency in, as well as invest organizational focus on, equity and inclusion frameworks, practices and policies. This is also true in our hiring and retention of staff.